Which means I get a 3-day break to bake and write all weekend, “Yay!” Yea right…I wish but I did manage to create an All-American classic vanilla cupcake for the ‘veganists’! With a couple of substitutions, this classic cupcake can be easily transformed into a vegan sweet treat anyone (vegan or not) can enjoy!
The cake portion is rich in flavor with a moist, tender crumb, you would be amazed it’s actually vegan. Sound like an advertisement, huh?! It’s the truth. Initially, I was skeptical in creating the recipe, worried it was going to implode becoming another failed dessert moment, instead it was a success!
I’m a firm believer in helping educate others on options when recreating recipes as some may not have every ingredient listed. In the matter of vinegar, most recipes call for apple cider vinegar over distilled white. Didn’t have the preferred apple cider so I used what I had and the end result looks and tastes great. Probably wouldn’t have noticed a difference.
Also, it’s been brought to my attention that some people may be allergic to soy products. If you have a food allergy to soy, substitute the soy milk for either rice or almond milk and you’re good to go.
As always with every recipe from my kitchen to yours, ENJOY!
Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 45 min | Quantity: 12
- 1 C soy milk
- 1 T distilled white vinegar
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 1 C sugar
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 1/4 C water
- 1 T lemon juice
- 2 T vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 24 cupcake liners into pan
- In large bowl, mix soy milk and vinegar; set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Combine and whisk oil, water, lemon juice and vanilla into the soy milk-mixture.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the soy milk-mixture and mix on medium speed using an electric mixer until batter is lump-free.
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake liners about 1/2 – 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes recipe created by URBAN BAKES.
Vanilla Vegan Buttercream
Prep time: 2 min | Total time: 5 min | Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- 2 C confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 C vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 T soy milk
- 1 t clear vanilla extract
- In large bowl, combine and mix all ingredients together on medium speed using an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until buttercream becomes light and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes. Note: quantities in this recipe generously covers 6 cupcakes.
- Recipe can be doubled to frost 24 cupcakes.
- If buttercream is too thick, add soy milk 1/2 T at a time.
- Regular vanilla extract can be used instead of clear vanilla extract.
Vanilla Vegan Buttercream recipe created by URBAN BAKES.