What makes this chocolate chip cookie even better, is that it’s made with the nutty aroma of browned butter and crispy BACON while still having the classic crunchy exterior with a soft chewy center!
Browned butter bacon chocolate chip cookies has been on my mind for weeks! Originally, I made regular browned butter chocolate chip cookies without bacon that was supposed to have been mailed to a friend of mine who lives in Colorado. She and her husband graciously welcomed my boyfriend and I to stay in their home for a few days to go on a ski trip. Mailing a package of cookies would have been my way of showing my appreciation of her hospitality. Unfortunately, the cookies never made it there. They were just too good! What makes matters worse, is that I made them taste even better, with BACON! Seriously, I’m torturing my waistline here. How can you possibly say “no” to another cookie. I felt so weak. Honestly, I’m surprised these cookies made it past photos because it was my second batch with bacon. So if you read between the lines, I’ve made these cookies 3 times. Truth is, 4 times. I’m so going to regret it during bikini season.
Taste testing can be such a hard job at times. Something as simple as the nutty aromatic smell when butter is browning just sends me to a euphoric state of mind that all cares of dieting goes straight out the window. Then, to top it off with bacon crisping in the frying pan, please… must I even go on?! How about I just stop right here and let you have a try. :)
A browned butter chocolate chip cookie with crunchy exterior, a soft chewy center and topped with crispy bacon
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking pad.
- In small bowl, whisk flour and baking soda, set aside.
- In 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter until it becomes a dark golden brown and has a nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer melted butter to a large bowl and stir till for a minute to cool.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and vanilla; whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds.
- Let mixture stand for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds; repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth and shiny.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. Note: Dough may be dry, use your fingertips for assistance.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop dough and lay onto baking sheet and space them 2 inches apart. Pat down bacon on top of each cookie as much or as little as desired.
- Bake 10 to 14 minutes. Let cookies cool to room temperature on a wire rack. ENJOY!
Chopped cooked bacon may be added into the mixture with the chocolate chips.
Have you made any of my recipes? I would love to see them. Snap a pic and use the #urbanbakes on your public Instagram and Twitter.
Recipe source: www.urbanbakes.com.
Browned Butter Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe was slightly adapted from (p 183) Cook’s Illustrated Baking Book.