These are the BEST savory blondies you’ll ever eat. With a nutty toffee base, chewy caramel center and a light crunchy top, all in the most buttery-moist blondie ever, you’ll find it difficult saying no to another.
Can I toot my own horn here? Can I? I mean seriously, these blondies are the BEST and I’m not just saying this because I made them. I’ve made plenty of things in my life so for me to deem something as the “best”, I better be damn sure that it is and this one, I know I nailed!
You might recall my White Chocolate Butterscotch Blondies made a year ago, this recipe is a remake of the same blondies. Only difference is the substitution of toffee chips for the white chocolate & butterscotch morsels and the addition of creamy caramel. By the way, if you don’t know how great toffee is, my Toffee Bars explains it all. Needless to say, they are a-ma-zing!
As you may already know, adding caramel to just about anything, is always a plus. It transformed this pre-existing moist blondie-base into a more chewy and even a more savory, irresistible treat. Talk about throwing your diet right out the window! Don’t even think about trying to be good if you make these. SOO addicting. I struggled resisting the temptation of eating the entire batch while shooting these photos. Kept thinking I needed to hurry so I can pack it up and give them away quickly and I mean QUICKLY.
I did however, save a piece for Wes. He’s much more of a salty-crunchy type of guy, although lately that’s changed a bit but every now and then I’ll have to beg him to taste test. By the way, if you don’t know, having someone who’s not really into sweets can be your worst critic. But having him ask for more AND seeing him walk his hips downstairs to the concierge (where I left them) to grab more, made my jaw drop. That’s when I knew, I didn’t fail with these. He loved it and I hope you do too! :)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 (8 oz.) bag toffee chips, divided
- 1 (14 oz.) bag caramels, unwrapped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil leaving excess foil hang over the sides for easy removal. Lightly grease bottom and sides of foil; set aside.
- In large bowl, melt butter in microwave on high at 30 second intervals. Stop microwave when 75% of butter has melted. Stir and set aside to slightly cool.
- Mix in sugars, whole eggs plus egg yolks and vanilla until just combined. Whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Separate 2 cups of blondie batter into a small bowl and stir in 6 oz. of toffee chips. Pour this batter evenly into baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place caramels into a small bowl with heavy cream and melt in microwave on HIGH at 30 second intervals stirring in between each interval. May take up to 3 minutes for caramels to completely melt. Pour over toffee-blondie crust.
- Gently blot the remaining blondie batter over the caramel sauce. An angled spatula may be needed to evenly spread batter. Sprinkle remaining 2 oz. of toffee chips over the batter.
- Continue to bake for an additional 35-45 minutes until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature before cutting into squares. ENJOY!
Caramel Toffee Blondies recipe was created by Connie of URBAN BAKES.
To see more CARAMEL RECIPES, see links below