I am soo over this cold weather. One day it’s 30 degrees out, followed by a tease at 55 and then back down again to a 30 “frigid” degree weather. When. Will. It. Stop?! I keep telling myself, “next year I’m moving down south where it’s hot and I see palms [I have a thing for palm trees!], yea next year.” Has yet to happen. Until then, I like to make myself a little something “tropical” to make me feel like I’m in paradise and coconut’s the trick. However, I wanted something a bit more earthy and the avocados sure did hit the spot.
This ice cream is silky-rich and creamy with the perfect coconut to avocado ratio. At the beginning of each bite, the sweet taste of coconut dominates and as it begins to disappear, the avocado then, heightens giving a buttery flavor and earthy aroma. Wes likes to call it “planty.” I think the term he was looking for was, grassy. As this may be true to those who’ve tried this flavor combination, I still found it to be a delight!
In case you’re wondering what the yellow shards are in the ice cream, it’s browned butter honeycomb brittle. Sooo-so good. The brittle enhances the ice cream’s buttery flavor while giving a crunchy texture. Stay tuned for its recipe!
Like coconut? See my Chocolate Coconut Malibu Rum Cake
Like avocados? See my Avocado Mint Soup
Want more Ice Cream? See my Frozen Dessert Category
Don’t forget to check below the recipe for more Eat Your Green recipes provided to you by #SundaySupper.
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 can (7 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- Pit avocados. Scoop flesh into a medium bowl and mash with lemon juice until smooth.
- Add sugar, sweetened condensed milk and coconut milk; stir.
- Cover bowl and chill in refrigerator 2 hours or overnight.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Scrape ice cream into a chilled bowl. Cover and freeze until firm about 2 hours or eat as is. ENJOY!
For best results, make a day ahead and allow to freeze overnight to fully harden.
If you do not have an ice cream maker, copy/paste the link below in your browser to make this ice cream using the bag-technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmavyOIQIz0
Coconut Avocado Ice Cream recipe was slightly adapted from MyRecipes.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday!
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Green Light Appetizers and Sides
- Espinacas con Crema (Creamed Spinach) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach from It’s Yummi!
- Oven-Fried Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Irish Champ from girlichef
- Fresh Herb Tabouleh from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Moroccan Greens from Cooking On The Ranch
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes from MealDiva
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Green Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Broccoli and Blue Cheese Tarts from Mess Makes Food
- Avocado Fries from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Spinach Cashew Pakoras with Tangy Date Sauce from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes from Webicurean
Getting Greens Through Salads
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Asparagus-Fennel-Pea Shoot Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy
- Eggs and Greens Pizza from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Creamy Green Pizza from The Foodie Patootie
- Shamrock Spinach Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Healthy Green Pasta from Momma’s Meals
- Swiss Chard & Sausage Pasta Bake from Delaware Girl Eats
- Smothered Cabbage with Pork from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Fettuccine with Bacon Alfredo from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise from Having Fun Saving
- Indulgent Pesto Risotto from The Weekend Gourmet
- Twice Baked Turkey Pie with Cabbage from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Slow-Cooker Irish Stout Chicken Stew from FoodieTots
- Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza from Family Foodie
Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green
- Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie from Desserts Required
- Mint Cookies and Stout Shake from Melanie Makes
- Verde Sangria from Country Girl in the Village
- Baileys Mint Ice Cream & Chocolate Stout Float from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shamrock Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Green Tea Latte from Manu’s Menu
- Grasshopper Mousse from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Amazing Grass Brownies from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Leprechaun Ice Cream from Cookistry
- White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Pudding Frosting from Cookin’ Mimi
- Collard Greens, Mushroom, and Cheddar Bread Pudding from The Texan New Yorker
- Coconut Avocado Ice Cream from URBAN BAKES
- Lime Meltaways from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Mint Cake from NinjaBaking.com