Baked Chicken Parmesan is a comfort classic turned Gluten Free! Made with simple ingredients and can be ready in an hour for the whole family to enjoy!
Hey there folks! I know it’s been quite some time but I am thrilled to be back! With an unexpected break from the blog to settle into my new home, I am finally getting into my groove. Thank goodness, because I truly miss being here sharing my stories, photos and food.
The year is coming to a close and as I reflect on how strongly I once desired to pursue healthier recipes for 2015, I see somehow I lost that drive. Changing that goal to make it a bit simpler for myself (maybe even more realistic) purely because I now have no choice, this is to create more lunch and dinner meals. Let’s get real, desserts are always fun. Fun to bake – fun to eat, but now that I’m on my own in Arizona, I have to cook for myself. No more depending on family home cooked dinners or take-out meals. All which means: I have A LOT of practicing to do. And as with any novice cook, you begin with something simple, such as this easy-to-make, ready in an hour, Baked Chicken Parmesan made with certified Barilla® Gluten Free penne pasta!
This 9×13 baked dish is large enough to serve 8 or if you’re like me, split it with a roommate and eat it for both lunch and dinner twice in the week. It’s super easy, healthy and delicious with very few steps involved.
In case you may have wondered how Barilla® pasta is gluten free, it’s quite simple actually: instead of being made from wheat, it’s made with corn and rice! To be honest, I’m not one to go on a gluten free diet but with respect to those who may need to or are gluten-sensitive, the pasta’s taste and texture is exactly like regular pasta! I was quite shocked. And if I walked into a pasta bake such as this and not have been told it was a gluten free dish, I wouldn’t for a second have thought it could be. It is truly remarkable!
If you’re looking for more fun and delicious meals to make using gluten free pasta, take a peek into this Pinterest board from Barilla® for several innovative ideas!
Looking where to shop? Visit BJ’s Wholesale Clubs on December 22nd and 23rd to see an in-store Barilla Gluten Free pasta demo at select clubs!
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces Barilla Gluten Free Penne
- 3 small chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (25 ounce) tomato mushroom sauce (or any flavored sauce)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used part-skim)
- 3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 10-12 grape tomatoes, halved
- Fill a medium saucepan with 3 to 4 cups of water, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon oil; bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook pasta until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and return pasta to the saucepan.
- Cut chicken into strips or cubes and season with salt and pepper. Set a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with 1 tablespoon of oil. Once pan is heated, cook chicken strips thoroughly, about 5 minutes.
- Combine pasta and tomato sauce in with the chicken and mix until evenly coated.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a 9x13-inch baking pan, spoon half of the pasta and chicken. Evenly sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons of chopped basil; repeat with a second layer. Add sliced tomatoes over the top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and is light golden brown in color. Remove and immediately sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese. Serve warm. ENJOY!
Have you made any of my recipes? I would love to see them. Snap a pic and use the #urbanbakes on your public Instagram and Twitter.