Happy Monday! I hope you all had a lovely weekend. Mine was pretty relaxing with the exception of yesterday. I tested two new recipes, shot and edited them in one day. I think that’s a first!
Today’s recipe is one I would consider a little “out of the ordinary” for two reasons. First, I normally don’t make holiday-themed cakes, cupcakes, and the like. Not to say I haven’t done any. You can see some of my other themed treats here but I prefer to stick with the adult version such as this or even anything seasonal. I don’t know, blame it on the fact that I don’t have kids yet although every now and then, I get a little giddy and pull out the food coloring and sprinkles to let my inner kid out. (Can’t wait to do this someday with my mini me’s! I think I’d be the best soccer mom, EVER! Just saying.)
However, the biggest change here which is probably the most important change, is that this recipe is vegan AND sugar free! I would like to say at this time about 98% of my recipes are full fat, high carb, sugar loading, non-vegan recipes. Wouldn’t you agree?
I had a bit of a turning point earlier this summer, an epiphany sort to speak, which made me reflect back to my purpose for studying dietetics in college. I’m not ready to discuss the details of what this is yet but I’m hoping to get it together so that one day I can. I’ll tell you one thing, one of my goals here is to post “healthier” versions of the same treats I would normally post on URBAN BAKES but this would require changing some of the ingredients and a lot more testing. So until then, give this one a shot. I used my favorite vegan chocolate cake recipe found here with my vegan vanilla frosting as seen in these cupcakes.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar-free granulated sugar (I used Swerve)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar-free confectioners sugar (I used Swerve)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance); softened
- 1-2 tablespoons soy milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- violet food color gel (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place a paper baking cup into each of the 12 cupcake wells and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar-free granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in water, oil, vanilla and vinegar until just combined. Divide batter evenly among prepared baking cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine sugar-free confectioners sugar, vegan butter, 1 tablespoon soy milk and vanilla. Using an electric mixer on low speed beat for 2 to 4 minutes. Note: depending on the brand of sugar-free confectioners sugar you use, the frosting may become a solid mass. If this happens, simply add additional soy milk 1 teaspoon at a time and mix again until you achieve a spreadable consistency. Add desired food color gel and mix again until color is evenly distributed.
- Frost cupcakes. ENJOY!
Please note, sprinkles used on these cupcakes were not sugar-free.
Recipe source: URBAN BAKES
Halloween Fall Fun Pack GIVEAWAY!
Today is your lucky day! I have for you a special Halloween Fall Fun Pack to give away to one lucky winner. Enter into the rafflecopter below for your chance to win and receive it before Halloween night! Hurry! Ends this Friday 10/17!
By entering you agree to all terms & conditions as stated in the widget. This giveaway is not sponsored or endorsed with any of the listed brands below.
- 1 Wilton Whoopie Pie Pan
- 1 cake carrier
- 1 KitchenAid ice cream scoop
- 1 set of measuring spoons
- 1 apple corer
- 6-pack Fall sprinkles
- 4-pack Halloween silicone ice cube trays
- 3-pack Fall napkins (yellow, orange, leaves)
- Halloween kid toys for ages 4+ (6-pack cauldrons and 6-pack skeleton parachuters)