The first Friday of June is National Doughnut Day and when is there a better day to celebrate? How about a guilt-free doughnut you can have any day of the year that’s low in fat, cholesterol-free, a 5 easy-step recipe AND can be ready from start to finish in under 25 minutes.* Now that’s worth trying!
As we all know, doughnuts come in a variety of flavors, stuffed and topped with or without cream and sprinkles and can come as a closed (stuffed) doughnut, original or the infamous munchkin. The array is practically endless and yet I somehow only have two favorites, the classic glazed chocolate doughnut and plain doughnut with chocolate glaze. The photos show my favorite flavor and colors of pink, silver and anything metallic.
From minimal amount of ingredients, quick preparation and let’s not forget a much healthier version, this recipe is a must try. Brought these minis to work and people all over the building were trying to get their hands on them. One person even asked, “Are these the doughnuts everyone keeps raving about?” Now that’s a good feeling especially when they tell you they like yours more than Dunkin Donuts®.
After you bake yours, glaze it with your favorite flavor, top it with sprinkles, chopped nuts, or even coconut. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed! ENJOY
Low Fat 10-Minute Mini Baked Doughnuts
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 10 min | Total Time: 25 min | Quantity: 4 dozen mini or 18 regular doughnuts
- 2 C APF or cake flour
- 3/4 C sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 C skim milk
- 1 T vegetable shortening, melted
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease doughnut pan.
- In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add in eggs, milk, shortening and vanilla. Mix until just combined. Avoid over mixing.
- Pour batter into each doughnut hole 1/2 full.
- Bake 8 – 10 minutes or until tops spring back when touched. Allow to cool before glazing.
- Nutmeg and cinnamon are commonly added in to most plain doughnut recipes. In the photos here, cinnamon was not used.
- Do not over mix batter as this may toughen the doughnuts texture.
- To melt shortening, place in microwave on HIGH for a maximum of 30 seconds. Check consistency of shortening after 15 seconds. Remember to avoid burning.
Low Fat 10-Minute Mini Baked Doughnuts recipe created by URBAN BAKES.
*The aforementioned statement of this recipe as a LF, cholesterol-free doughnut speaks strictly of the doughnut portion.
Prep Time: 2 min | Cook Time: 30 sec | Total Time: 5 min | Quantity: approximately 3/4 C
- 3/4 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 T butter
- 1 T light corn syrup
- 1/4 t vanilla extract
- Combine chocolate chips and butter, microwave on HIGH for 30 sec. Stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add corn syrup and vanilla, stir well.
Chocolate Glaze recipe, slightly adapted from All Recipes member Ginger.
To glaze doughnuts, dip doughnuts into the bowl of chocolate glaze about halfway deep. Rotate your hand 45 degrees holding the doughnut and lift, set aside to dry or add topping of choice before glaze settles. As always ENJOY!