Think you have what it takes to be a grilling guru?
I wish I could say yes but I’m much more comfortable as a baker than a cook. I think you already knew that ;-) But… tell me there’s a cooking contest and I’ll be front and center joining in on the excitement. The suspense of not knowing if the chefs will be able to prepare the food within a designated amount of time while making their plate look presentable and most importantly, taste great, gets me every time. I think I watch too much of the Food Network channel. No shame in that, right? It’s entertaining!
Last Saturday I couldn’t pass the opportunity to watch a Sizzle Showdown finale grill-off hosted by Macy’s Culinary Council, right in my hometown of New York City. It was intense!
Six regional finalists competed for the chance to win $10,000 and the chance to be named The Grilling Guru. Plus celebrity Chefs Johnny Iuzinni and Todd English were judges which made it all that much better (I think this statement deserves a wink if you get my drift!).
Chefs and their dishes were:
- Sarah M. Hampden, ME – Grilled Chicken stuffed with Herb Goat Cheese and Prosciutto
- Sonya G. Moorhead, MN – Pesto Citrus Prosciutto Grilled Shrimp with Mandarin Orange Grilled Red Pepper and Red Onion and Fruit Salad
- Devon D. Westport, NJ – Sea to Shinning Sea Crab Sliders with Firecracker Chow & Avocado Tartar Cream.
- Mary S. Ada, OK – American West Pork & Beef Braids with Charred Apple-Mango Reduction on Grilled Sea Salt-Kissed Kale
- Sherri W. Creastview, FL – Grilled Thai Lamb Lion Chops
- Jack S. Anaheim, CA – Steak and Potato Sliders with Basil/Gorgonzola
And the grand prize winner was… Sherri W!! Congratulations, Sherri!
After the event was over, my friend Cate from Chez CateyLou and I had a chance to meet with Sherri W. and her family and friends to take photos and bask in their excitement of winning $10K. It was truly a blast!
Don’t forget to follow hashtag #SizzleShowdown to see more photos and up to date info! :)
Disclaimer: I am a member of the Everywhere Society and Everywhere has provided me with compensation for this post. However, all thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own.