The decadent sweet scent of pumpkin and vanilla bourbon within these brownies is one treat you simply can’t pass up trying.
Surely these brownies are irresistible, and I can explain to you why they are but wouldn’t you agree, the pictures do it justice?
But I guess you’ll have to ask yourself what you’re looking for. Are you wanting a chocolate treat that’s soft and mellow? Or perhaps are you in the mood for something more robust and bold in flavor? How about, a little of both?…
School has started, temperatures have dropped and in some places around the world I can only imagine the leaves are on the verge of changing colors. Honestly, I wouldn’t know or better yet, I can’t remember if it’s that time of hoodie season yet. In November, it’ll be three years since I’ve moved to Arizona where it’s 90 degrees at 9 PM- oh the joy of the desert life [eyeroll]. Just kidding; I do enjoy plenty of what AZ has to offer.
But of all those Autumn feels I once experienced during my days in New York, the pumpkin-everything in me is rising and so, I’m jumping on the bandwagon a bit early this year. No regrets! And my goodness, I cannot wait to show what I have in store!
I’ll spare the pumpkin talk and leave room to spread it out over the next month or two. I’m sure you don’t mind, hehe! But I will tell you this… over several batches of tweaking, I have finally perfected the right amount of bourbon to add while not overpowering the brownies’ chocolatiness. In addition, the vibrant-colored, creamy pumpkin swirl gives a nice subtle hint of spice and sweetness to lighten the bold flavors of chocolate with bourbon making these brownies as previously mentioned, irresistible!
I’d love to know from you, what’s your favorite go-to Fall recipe? Leave a comment below and don’t forget to subscribe to my email list to not miss out on upcoming recipes. :)
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips or baking bar, chopped
- 6 oz. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup bourbon whiskey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 can (7.5 oz.) pure pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 5 ½ tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with aluminum foil allowing some overhang over opposing sides of the pan for easy removal. Generously coat bottom and sides of foil-lined pan with baking spray with flour; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, microwave chocolate and butter in 30 second increments, mix between each interval, about 1 and half minutes or until 75% of the chocolate has melted; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, eggs, bourbon and vanilla. Ladle chocolate mixture one-third at a time mixing thoroughly until well blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Mix into the chocolate mixture and pour into the baking pan. Using an offset spatula, spread batter evenly to the corners and edges of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk all pumpkin swirl ingredients together until well blended. Spoon 3 lines (1-inch wide) of pumpkin mixture lengthwise across the chocolate. Using a butterknife, starting at one end of the pan, drag the knife perpendicular through the chocolate and pumpkin lines changing direction once reached to the opposite end of the pan to create a swirl effect. Continue this zig-zag motion until you reach the opposite end of the pan from start.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with little to no crumbs. Remove from oven and allow brownies to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Using a butterknife, cut brownies into 24 squares. ENJOY!
Have you made any of my recipes? I would love to see them. Snap a pic and use the #urbanbakes on your public Instagram and Twitter.