This pleasantly warm and delicious no-bake malt chocolate pudding cake couldn’t get any more simple in the making!
Can you believe this is the first time I’ve made anything with a slow cooker?! Yes, you’ve read that right! I have finally brought to you, URBAN BAKES’ first slow cooker recipe!
I swear, sometimes I feel as if I’ve been living under a rock when it comes to small kitchen appliances and I say this because I was raised simple. Microwave, toaster and…. I think that’s it. None of this fancy schmancy tools they have now for deep frying, or for creating waffles, or homemade ice cream. And don’t get me wrong; I’m not complaining. I love this thing! The slow cooker is one heck of a genius piece of equipment.
Great for Summer months as I now live in the desert (which means my “East coast summer” started back in the beginning of March!). It’s a no brainer here to utilize this as much as possible during this time of the year. So expect to see more slow cooker recipes coming :)
But to not go off on a tangent of how impressed I am about the endless creations with now owning a slow cooker [huge smile], I want to focus back on this delicious cake! After all, I’m pretty sure that’s why you’re here.
Inspired by the delicately warm Chocolate Fudge Cake, the inclusion of malt is a simple yet innovative way of giving depth to the traditional chocolate flavor. In addition, the process of cooking a sponge cake rather than baking one has been a goal of mine since the first time it was seen at this food conference. (Now I check this off my cooking bucket list)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped malted milk balls
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- vanilla bean ice cream, optional
- Using a baking spray with flour, generously coat bottom and sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together milk, oil and vanilla. In a medium bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cocoa and baking powder. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the milk-mixture until just blended. Stir in malted milk balls and chocolate chips. Spoon batter into the greased slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir together sugar, milk powder and boiling water. Pour over batter but do not stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Allow cake to rest for 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and sprinkled with chopped malted milk balls.