Easter is almost here! Can you believe it?
You know, I’ve never understood if carrot-flavored treats are more of a fall or Easter type of dessert. Maybe it’s both. I don’t know. In any case, I have one more holiday treat for you, it’s soft-baked carrot cookie sandwiches with fluffy cream cheese filling.
Even though these cookies are beautifully studded with 2 cups of shredded carrots, it remains soft and tender when baked. The trick to achieving tender carrots is to allow them to sit in brown sugar for 10 minutes. This gives a beautiful texture, mild sweet flavor and bright flecks of orange color. Add fluffy cream cheese filling and it’s as though you’re having carrot cake but in a cookie! Now you can easily pack this up to go anywhere!
So as quick and simple these cookies were to make, I’ll keep this post today the same. It’s time to get baking, family’s coming! Have a great holiday!
- shredded carrot - 2 cups
- packed brown sugar, divided - 2/3 cup
- unsalted butter, divided - ¼ cup
- vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons
- pure vanilla extract - 1/2 teapoon
- egg - 1
- all-purpose flour - 1 cup
- ground cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- salt, divided - 1/2 teaspoon
- baking soda - 1/4 teaspoon
- reduced-fat cream cheese, softened - 4 oz.
- confectioners’ sugar - 1 cup
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking mats; set aside.
- In a fine mesh sieve over a small bowl, mix carrots and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar. Allow to drain for 10 minutes; discard liquid.
- In a large bowl, melt 2 tablespoons butter in microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds, stir. Mix in oil, vanilla and egg.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, remaining (1/2 cup) brown sugar, cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon salt, baking soda.
- Combine butter mixture with flour mixture and mix well until just combined.
- Drop a spoonful of dough 2 inches apart on lined cookie sheets
- Bake for 11 minutes or until set. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack for additional cooling.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, using a hand mixer beat 2 tablespoons softened butter, cream cheese, ¼ vanilla and ¼ salt until fluffy about 1 minute.
- Beat in confectioners’ sugar until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill cookies by generously spreading cream cheese filling onto flat side of one cookie. Place second cookie flat side down on top of filling. Repeat for the remaining cookies. Store in an air tight container up to one week in fridge or eat immediately. ENJOY!
Soft - Baked Carrot Cookie Sandwich recipe was adapted from (p. 146) Cooking Light magazine (April 2014).