These muffins are infused with 3 citrus flavors: lemon, lime and orange with their tops brushed with a citrus simple syrup giving each muffin a light touch of sweetness. They’re soft with the most amazing delicate crumb!
The perfect wake-me-up breakfast with coffee or tea.
I must say, September is one very confusing month for many foodies. Some bloggers are already posting pumpkin-everything recipes while others are still in their summer mode. Then, there are others like myself who are in the middle; basically indecisive of what to do next. Although I haven’t posted any new “Fall baking” recipes as of yet, I have been sharing some of my past posts on Facebook and Instagram, just in case you’re ready for them. If you’re looking for those recipes, you may also take a look around here for some inspiration.
Until then, I’m bringing you muffins. The best muffins I’ve made to date! Note that I rarely like to use the word best when describing something but these muffs are truly remarkable. It’s flavor, moisture content, tender crumb, everything is perfect mainly because of this one ingredient….
Yogurt! Can you believe it?
I used low-fat yogurt (full-fat yogurt may be substituted) and it leaves the muffins with a delicate tender crumb plus it’s lower in calories than oil, (additional) butter and even sour cream!
When you pull the warm muffins apart it breaks easily without crumbling. The best feature is its light texture as well as its lightly sweetened flavor. Definitely not the typical heavy muffins or as sweet as cupcakes. Regarding poppy seed flavor, it’s so subtle you almost can’t taste it. The original recipe called for 3 tablespoons, I used 2 tablespoons in fear of looking too dark. If you don’t want to use poppy seeds, you can simply omit them and have yourself a triple citrus muffin instead, I’m sure you’ll love it!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin wells with a paper baking cup or lightly grease and flour each well; set pan aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs until just combined. Stir in lemon, lime and orange grated peels.
- Gently mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients alternating with the yogurt. Divide batter evenly among the prepared muffin wells.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack for additional cooling.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan over medium heat, mix sugar and lemon, lime and orange juices together until the sugar dissolves and the mixture forms a light syrup, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Brush syrup over warm muffins. ENJOY!
If fresh fruits are unavailable, you may use extracts for the muffin portion of the recipe and refrigerated juices for the syrup portion of the recipe, in the same amounts.
Triple Citrus Poppy Seed Muffins recipe was adapted by (p.39) Cooks Illustrated Baking Book.